Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 74

I've been CPAPed! 

I had my fitting last night and I have gone and gotten a CPAP machine.  I am hiring it for 3 months and may end up purchasing it if I need it for longer than what I think I will.  They are certainly not the cheapest pieces of equipment and I recommend shopping around - especially if you are renting.

So, last night I got wired up again...


And then they fitted the machine.  It's such a strange sensation having this air blow at you (in my case, up my nose).  I did ask if I could try a 'nasal pillows' rather than using the full mask.  The thought of having something over my face the whole night makes me feel a little claustrophobic.  Here I am with my sexy mask (a VERY attractive shot indeed...)


Much to my surprise, I managed to keep it on the whole night.  I guess I didn't really have a choice considering the Nurse would have come back in and put it on for me.  It is as uncomfortable as it looks.  I woke up feeling like I'd been punched in the nose as the cushion things go up your nose.  I think I found the wires to be more uncomfortable than the mask but in saying that, I had a good sleep - I managed 7 hours.

I ended up obtaining my prescription for the CPAP machine this morning so I went down to Priceline in Niddrie (the cheapest place I could find that also offered fantastic service) and got my machine.  They spent an hour with me talking about it and how to operate it.  I can even upload some music to it so that I can use it as my alarm in the morning!  The machine looks like a toaster.


Anyway, we'll see how I go with it tonight.  It will be interesting to see what I do with it - if I manage to leave it on the whole night or if I end up ripping it of without even knowing it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment